Attorney Ronald Polan
Handling Criminal Cases And Injury Matters For Clients Throughout Southeastern Wisconsin
CALL TODAY! 414-368-9140

Questions And Answers About Traffic Tickets

Do you have questions about traffic tickets? Let Milwaukee attorney Ronald Polan answer them in a one-on-one consultation that is tailored to your unique situation. You can also read general questions and answers below.

How Many Points Come With A Moving Violation?

In Wisconsin, different types of traffic offenses are assigned different demerit points. The more serious the offense, the more points you will receive. For example, driving while intoxicated comes with six points, as does speeding 20 mph over the limit. However, speeding five mph over the limit comes with three points, as does making an illegal turn.

If you have a commercial driver's license (CDL) or a motorcycle license, the points system differs slightly.

How Many Points Does It Take To Lose My License?

It takes only 12 demerit points in 12 months to lose your driving privileges. As you can see, it's all too easy to pay a couple traffic tickets one day and find yourself without a driver's license the next. This is why it pays to fight your moving violation charges with the help of an attorney instead of simply paying the ticket and admitting guilt.

How Long Will My License Be Suspended?

It depends on what kind of license you have and how many points you have accumulated. If you have a regular driver's license or CDL and you accumulate 12 points, your license will be suspended for two months. At least 17 points means a four-month suspension. More than 30 points means a 12-month suspension.

If you have a learner's permit or probationary license, the penalties are stricter. Only 12 points will mean a six-month suspension instead of a two-month suspension.

Are There Any Alternatives To Losing My License?

In many cases, yes. Depending on your specific situation, you may qualify for an occupational driver's license to get to and from your job. You may also be able to erase three points from your record by taking a traffic safety course.

The best way to guard your license, however, is to fight a ticket instead of paying it. Attorney Ronald Polan has the defense experience and skill you need in this regard. To talk with our lawyer, contact us online or call our office at 414-368-9140 today.

Set Up A Consultation And Get Real Legal Help Today

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy